Schools as Centers of Neighborhood Vitality
Briefing Book - Table of Contents
NSBN Getty Symposium -
May 29, 2003
1. NSBN Getty Symposium "Schools as Centers of Neighborhood
Vitality" Symposium, May 29, 2003 Agenda
The Challenge to Building Schools as Centers of Neighborhood
1. Richard Riley. Forum on Schools as Centers of Community,
KnowledgeWorks Foundation, January 10, 2003
2. California State November 2002 Bond -- Proposition
3. LAUSD School Construction & Modernization Bond Fact
4. Basic Facts About Proposition 10 and First 5 LA
5. "State Architect Reflects On How School Districts Interact
With State For Approval To Build New Facilities," The
Planning Report, April 25, 2003
Westlake, Los Angeles Case Study
1. Project Evolution Fact Sheet
2. "LAUSD to Work With Developer on Mixed-Use Project," Los
Angeles Business Journal, April 14, 2003
3. Press Handout -- March 3, 2003 Press Conference
City Heights, San Diego -- The Role of Third-Party
1. "San Diego Unified School District is Proving that Schools
Can Revitalize & Anchor Neighborhoods." Interview
with Lou Smith, The Planning Report, January 2002.
2. "San Diego's CityLink Offers a Model for Rebuilding
Inner Cities." Interview with William Jones. The Planning
Report. August 2002.
Elizabeth Street Learning Center, Los Angeles -- A
Shared-Use Neighborhood School
1. "Joint Use: Elizabeth Learning Center, Programs
and Services for Families and Children 0-5"
Charter Schools: Alternative Neighborhood Centered School Facility
1. "Charters: Pluses and Minuses." Sacramento
Bee. Erika Chavez. May 22, 2002.
2. About Camino Nuevo, Pueblo Nuevo and ExEd.
Sustainable Design: High Performance "Environment Friendly" New
1. California High Performance School (CHPS) Overview
2. "Sacramento Urges Innovation in Public School Facilities:
Sec. Adams Sees Direct Link to Better Schools." Interview
with Aileen Adams. NSBN Newsletter. Summer 2001.
3. "L.A. City Architect Articulates Public Mission: Make
Substantive Improvements in City's Quality of Life." Interview
with Deborah Weintraub. The Planning Report. March 2002.
Challenges of Collaborative, Mixed Use Planning and Leveraging
1. CA State and LA County Bond Funding -- Chart Overview
2. 21st Century School Fund information.
3. "San Diego City Schools and City of San Diego to maximize
joint use and property resources." News Release. San
Diego City Schools. October 9, 2002.
4. "The Ambassador Hotel Site is Now Owned by LAUSD: A
Long Running Saga Begins Yet Another Chapter." Interview
with Kathi Littmann. The Planning Report. April 2002.
Designing Schools As Community Resources: After school,
Pre-K, Housing & Arts
1. 21st Century Community Learning Centers. Resources for Afterschool
2. After School Learning and Safe Neighborhoods Partnerships
Office. Web Resources.
3. "Landmark Affordable Housing, Community Services Complex
Planned for Canoga Park" News Release. CRA/LA. Kiara Harris.
March 13, 2003.
4. "Charles Stuart Mott Foundation Makes Major Grant
for Community Education."
5. "L.A. Planners Laud Mixed-Use Models for Housing, Schools." Interview
with Jane Blumenfeld. The Planning Report. July 2002.
Schools as Centers of Healthy Neighborhoods: Obstacles to Coordination
1. Coalition for Community Schools Information
2. "Ready Schools: Practices to support the development
and educational success of young children." California
Children & Families Commission, Proposition 10 School Readiness
Initiative. Prepared by UCLA Center for Healthier Children,
Families and Communities. Version 1 A. July 2002.
Collaborative Planning How To's
1. "Civil Rights, Civic Engagement, and Community Learning
Environments" The George Lucas Educational Foundation.
Steven Bingler, 2002.
Nuts and Bolts of Facilities Reform: A Legislative Reform Agenda
1. Legislative Summary: Joint-use Facilities and Collaborative
Planning. Prepared by New Schools * Better Neighborhoods. March
2. "Antonio Villaraigosa Speaks to Trust for Public Land
on the Need for an Urban Environmental Agenda." The Planning
Report. November 2002.
3. "Design-Build Contracting Offers Time & Cost Efficiencies
for New School Construction." Interview with Chris Taylor.
The Planning Report. December/January 2003.
NSBN Symposium Participants