||Wilsona Elementary School District Superintendent – Ned McNabb
LA County Children’s Planning Council Service Planning Area 1
Los Angeles County Supervisor, 5th District – Michael Antonovich
State Assembly District 36: Sharon Runner
State Senate District 17: George Runner
Congressional District 25: Howard “Buck” McKeon
Basic Demographic Data
|Ethnicity/Race: Whites represent 50% of the Zip Code population. Latinos: 29%; Blacks: 16%; and Asians: 2%. Income/Poverty: 31% of all households make less than $25,000 a year. Education/Language Spoken: 24% of all adults hold less than a high school education. 25% of the Zip Code population speaks a non-English language at home
Families with Children Ages 0-6
Presence of Families with Children Ages 0-6i
The Zip Code has a slightly larger proportion of families with children ages 0-6 than countywide.
- 26% - 3,625 out of 13,872 families in the Zip Code have children ages 0-6.
- 25% - 543,233 out of 2,136,977 families in Los Angeles County have children aged 0-6.
|Average Third Grade Test Scores
Moderately Low 3rd Grade Test Scoresii
Average test scores taken from two elementary schools in the Wilsona Elementary School District were moderately low:
- 20% of third graders scored at the below basic or far below basic level in English and Language Arts.
- 14% of third graders cored at the below basic or far below basic level in Math.
30% of third graders in the WIlsona Elementary School District scored at or above the 50th National Percentile in reading (compared to 30% in LA County).iii
The average API base for the two schools in the project area was 703 out of a statewide performance target of 800.iv
Incidence of Low
Birth Weight Babies
Moderate Incidence of Low-birth Weight Babies.v
8% or 79 babies out of 945 live births in the Zip Code were born with low birth weights.
6.6% or 10,213 babies out of 153,523 live births in Los Angeles County were born with low birth weights.
The Zip Code is listed by the county as a high-risk area for child lead poisoning.vi
|Incidence of Newborn Death
Low Incidence of Newborn Disability and Diseasevii
The infant death rate in the Zip Code was lower than in LA County
- The infant death rate in the Zip Code was 4.3 per 1,000 live births.
- The infant death rate in SPA 1 was 7.0 per 1,000 live births.
- The infant death rate in Los Angeles County was 5.9 per 1,000 live births