Ethnicity/Race: Latinos represent 44% of the Zip Code population,
Blacks 30%, Whites 16%, Asians 7%, Multi race 2%, and other1%.
Income/Poverty: 36.6% of households make less than $25,000 per year. 19.3% of persons are in poverty.
Education/Language Spoken: 32% of adults have less than a 12th grade education. 55% of people speak a non-English language in their homes.i
Substantial Presence of Families with Children Ages 0-6ii
The Zip Code has a greater proportion of families with children ages 0-6 than countywide.
- 32.3% - 7,100 out of 21,995 families in the Zip Code have children aged 0-5.
- 25% - 543,233 out of 2,136,977 families in Los Angeles County have children aged 0-6.
Very Low Average 3rd Grade Test Scoresiii
Average test scores were taken from three elementary schools in the Zip Code
- 43.3% of third graders in the Zip Code scored at the below basic or far below basic level in English and Language Arts.
- 26.6% of third graders in the Zip Code scored at the below basic or far below basic level in Math.
- 21.3% of third graders in the Zip Code scored at or above the 50th National Percentile in reading (compared to 41% in LA County)
- The average API base for the three schools in the project area was 677 out of.
- The three schools, on average, ranked 3.3 statewide and 7.3 among similar schools.iv
Moderate Incidence of Low-birth Weight Babies.v
- 67.1 babies per 1,000 live births in the Zip Code were born with low birth weights.
- 71 babies per 1,000 live births in Los Angeles County were born with low birth weights.
The Zip Code is listed by the county as a high-risk area for child lead poisoning.vi
Moderate Incidence of Newborn Disability and Diseasevii
The infant death rate in the Zip Code was higher than in LA County
- The infant death rate in the Zip Code was 8.8 per 1,000 live births.
- The infant death rate in SPA 8 was 5.7 per 1,000 live births.
- The infant death rate in Los Angeles County was 5.9 per 1,000 live births
Moderate Incidence of Crime, Domestic Violence and Assaultviii
- In the city of Hawthorne there were 439 domestic violence related calls for assistance in the year 2002 – 80 of which involved weapons.
- There were 319 aggravated assault/ domestic violence crimes in the city of Hawthorne in the year 2002.
- There were total 666 violent crimes committed in the city of Hawthorne in the year 2002.